Granite countertop cleaners can be tricky. If you’ve ever been interested in granite countertops, or own granite countertops yourself, you have most likely heard about the “tedious” granite countertop maintenance. Most people believe that it is very difficult to keep granite countertops clean without damaging the stone, but that is simply not the case. However, there are some things you should and should not do to maintain the integrity of the stone.
What NOT to use for granite countertop cleaners:
Some people think that the proper granite countertop cleaners will be expensive. Because of that, they try and save money by using certain chemicals. This is not only untrue, but will have the opposite effect. It will cost you a lot more time and money in the long run. Do not attempt to use generic cleaners like bleach, degreasers, glass cleaners, or any other household cleaners on your granite countertops. These are acid based cleaners, or contain alkalis or other chemicals that will destroy the sealer that is protecting your granite countertops. Granite countertop cleaners should not contain these ingredients. It will leave your granite, marble or other stone more vulnerable to staining.
Because these typical cleansers are not going to work for you, we’ve come up with the 5 best DIY granite countertop cleaners that you can make at home to protect those surfaces you love so much!
Do It Yourself Granite Countertop Cleaners:
1.Jillee’s Home made Granite Countertop Cleaner: Onegoodthingbyjillee.com
- 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol (or cheap vodka)
- 3 drops of Dawn or other dish soap (Castile soap would also be a good alternative if you prefer)
- 5-10 drops essential oil (optional – to help mask the alcohol smell)
Put the rubbing alcohol or vodka into a 16 oz spray bottle. Add the dish soap, essential oil and fill up the rest of the bottle with water.
Now give it a few shakes….THEN give it a try! It should give your countertops a nice, clean shine. Works on appliances too! All at a FRACTION of the price of the store-bought stuff.
2. Cambria Bold’s Granite Countert Cleaning Solution: thekitchn.com
Cambria’s contribution to our granite countertop cleaners is a little less of a formula, and a little more of a process. Here is what she has found works best:
What You Need
- Warm water
- Mild or gentle dish soap
- Dish cloth
- Clean microfiber cloth or terrycloth towel
- Isopropyl alcohol (optional)
- Wet your dish cloth with warm, soapy water. Fill the sink with warm water and a mild dish soap, then thoroughly wet a clean dish cloth.
- Wipe down the granite countertops. You don’t need us to tell you how to do this part. Just wipe away any spills or crumbs on your countertop!
- Dry with a microfiber cloth to avoid streaking. Dry and buff your granite countertop thoroughly with a microfiber cloth or soft terry cloth towel to avoid streaking.
- Shine and disinfect with a water and isopropyl alcohol solution. To periodically disinfect your granite countertops, remove soap residue, and restore shine, mix together a 50:50 solution of water and 91% isopropyl alcohol. Spray onto the granite, allow to sit for 3-5 minutes, then rinse with water and dry with a clean microfiber cloth.
- Enjoy your nice, shiny, clean granite countertops!
3. Clean Mama’s Granite Cleaner: Cleanmama.net
Clean mama’s recipe is pretty simple, but super effective! It’s one of our favorite, easy DIY granite countertop cleaners.
- 3 Tablespoons rubbing alcohol
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon castile soap (citrus orange is my favorite)
- measuring cup
- measuring spoon
- microfiber or a cleaning cloth
- clean and empty spray bottle
4. Nature Hack’s Easy Granite Cleaner: naturehacks.com
Nature Hack’s idea for granite countertop cleaners doesn’t get much easier than this:
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 2 cups water
Mix in a spray bottle and wipe off with a cloth!
5. Sherry’s heavy duty granite countertop cleaners: overthrowmartha.com
- 3 oz Parts Distilled Water (or soft water)
- 1 oz Part Alcohol
- 1 oz Baking Soda
- Essential Oils
- 1 part 100% Acetone (dark granite)
- 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide (light granite)
- 3 parts Distilled water
The NON-DIY Solution:
For our last cleaner, it’s not exactly DIY, but it does work wonders! We sell it here at Builders Surplus and our customers have had wonderful results. It’s called Rock Doctor and it’s a natural way to clean without harming your granite countertops. We also offer the sealer and polish along with the granite countertop cleaners.
Builders Surplus is a full service renovation company with locations in Louisville, Kentucky, and Newport, Kentucky, which also serves Cincinnati, Ohio. We specialize in interior design, kitchen design, bathroom remodel, building materials, and home improvement. Interior Design and measurements come as a free service to our clients. We sell building materials ranging in every price point, from unfinished kitchen cabinets to top of the line Wellborn cabinets. In addition to interior design, we also offer installation services. If you have any questions or would like to set up a free design consultation with one of our interior designers, we would encourage you to do so. We love sharing our knowledge with clients & potential home renovators. We write about interior design, home decor, decorating ideas, and home improvement. We hope you’ll check back in for our next article! Happy Renovation!
Written By: Allie Bloyd