Fixer Upper Style – Architectural, Cosmetic, & Decor
1. Slap on the Shiplap!If you’ve ever seen Fixer Upper, you know that Joanna has a slight obsession with Shiplap. Shiplap is essentially wood clad walls. Many homes in Texas were built with wood planked walls, hand driven nails, and loads of character. Its obvious why she would want to expose them ever chance she gets. While houses in my area weren’t built this way (unfortunately) you can still get the look. Check out this tutorial on how to DIY your own shiplap!
2. Open Up Your SpaceJoanna loves open spaces, and for good reason. It allows natural light to stream through and makes living spaces much for family friendly. Great sight lines help you keep an eye on the kiddos while you’re cooking dinner or hanging out in other areas. With less division, spaces seem bigger and more inviting.
3. Revamp a Fireplace (or create a faux fireplace)Sometimes it’s as simple as painting your old brick, adding a rustic wood mantle, and calling it a day. Sometimes you’ll need to reface with more classic materials. Or, if you don’t have a fireplace, don’t let that stop you. Joanna has used vintage mantles to create the look of a cozy fireplace with ease. Click here to learn how to DIY a faux fireplace!
4. Simplify with Subway TileJoanna loves subway tile, and so do we! Why? It’s so versatile, hard not to like, and very classy. It will stand the test of time. It looks great in so many spaces. Install some subway tile in your bathroom or kitchen for a classic pop! Click here to shop our selection of subway tile.
5. Butcher Block Islands (The bigger the better)Butcher block or reclaimed wood island tops are one of my very favorite things! Wood countertops are so cozy and warm, and give such a great farmhouse vibe to any kitchen. Big islands are one of Joanna’s trademark moves, so if you have the space, go BIG! Wood countertops are durable, long lasting, and will never go out of style.
6. Exposed Brick or Stone Look (Just use tile!)Exposed brick and stone are a great choice to add the antique farmhouse or rustic vibe to your space. If you aren’t lucky enough to have a home that offers real exposed stone or brick, not to worry! We have brick tile and ledge stone that can be installed and imitates the look of pre-existing stone or brick! Problem solved.
7. Create Faux Ceiling BeamsIf you weren’t blessed to have a home that includes stunning ceiling beams, don’t fret. You can DIY ceiling beams to get the perfect fixer upper style you’ve been looking for.
7. Neutral Color Palettes (Especially white on white)As shown above, white on white, or white on grey or taupe, are favorites of Joanna. I love these neutral color schemes because their calming, and work with any decor you want! Go bold with pillows, rugs, or other accents.
8. The Perfect Statement Lighting & ChandeliersFinding the perfect light fixtures is key to getting your fixer upper style. Go with wrought iron, black iron, beaded, wooden, or industrial chandeliers or statement lighting.
9. Industrial Pipe Shelving & Open ShelvesOpen shelves are a great way to add that fixer upper style to your home. Using industrial piping adds that extra flair. Simple white plates and cups (another favorite of Joanna) look great exposed on the shelves. It helps the kitchen, or any space you use them in, feel more open and airy. Open shelves are easy to DIY. Learn how here!
10. Install Sliding Barn DoorsSliding barn doors have grown immensely in popularity. You can use these on bedroom closets, entry closets, or any other door in your home that has space to the left or right of it. Learn how to DIY sliding barn doors from our knotted pine rustic doors here. You can find sliding barn door hardware in store for $249.99 to add the fixer upper style to every area of your home!
11. Add a Farmhouse SinkFarmhouse sinks are a great way to get some Fixer Upper style. White is a favorite, but you can find wood, quartz and ceramic styles as well!
12. Oil Rubbed Bronze FixturesOil rubbed bronze is one finish that really adds the farmhouse look to your space. Not to say that you can get the Fixer Upper look with chrome or brushed nickel fixtures, but ORB seems be a great choice if you’re going for Fixer Upper style.
13. Magnolia Wreaths Over Antique PiecesThis is Joanna’s signature, as she owns Magnolia Homes and the Magnolia Shop. This is the perfect way to add some Fixer Upper style! Put the wreath over anything vintage or antique, hang on your wall, or simply hang on your door, and you’re good to go!
14. Oversized Wall ClocksAnother staple. Joanna is more about THINGS on the wall rather than traditional art on the wall. Oversized clocks are a great way to get the look you want, and make sure you’re never late again! Click to learn how to make your own oversized wall clock.
15. Vintage Metals EVERYWHEREAdding metal pieces to your wall is key in getting your Fixer Upper Style. You can pretty much use anything, from anywhere, as metal wall art. Find metal wire baskets, metal tubs and crates, or old metal signs to get the look.
16. Antique Architectural Pieces for the WallsThe theme here is “art is what you want it to be”. Anything old, that you love the look of, can be your new wall decor. Get creative!
17. Jars for Vases & StorageSimple mason jars, glass jars, or metal jars can all be used for storage, flower pots, herb containers or vases. They’re cheap, cute, and give you some great Fixer Upper style.
18. Meaningful Wall QuotesFixer Upper is full of wall quotes, mostly created from Metal. Find quotes that mean something to you and your family and liven up your wall with them as a constant reminder of the good and beautiful things in life!
19. Classic, Slip-covered or Refurbished FurnitureNew furniture is so last year. Find old pieces with good bones. Paint them, reupholster them, or clean them up. Add slip covers to couches for the shabby chic look. Even with kids and pets, you can throw them in the washer whenever you need to give them a cleaning. It’s much easier than cleaning a regular couch!
20. Foliage For Every RoomGreen makes everything better. You can choose flowers, branches, twigs, or really anything from nature to add a touch of the outside to your space.
21. Vintage (Or vintage looking) BarstoolsEven in a “new” looking kitchen, the right lighting and vintage barstools can give you the farmhouse look you’re going for. You can find them at an antique or thrift shop, or just made to look old at a place like hobby lobby.
22. Old Book and Candlestick AccentsOld books and candle sticks are the easiest way to add a farmhouse touch to any space in your home. You can find these for cheap in flea markets, garage sales, or in your basement!
Make Sure You:
23. Shop in Unexpected PlacesOne key factor in getting Fixer Upper style is that most of the pieces are old. If you can’t find what you need at a garage sale, thrift store, flea market, peddlers mall or antique shop, you can buy new that looks old, but half the fun in these pieces is giving them a new life. Knowing they had a story other than yours. The beauty is in the history.
24. DeclutterJoanna’s designs will tell you: less is more. It doesn’t mean you can’t decorate with knick-knacks, but don’t over do it. The less clutter you have, the harder it is for your space to get messy!
25. PersonalizeIn Fixer Upper, their goal is to give the family a space that is THEIRS. You want your space to be personal. Choose things that mean something to you. Decorate with family pictures. Find things that you will utilize for your specific needs. That’s how you turn a house into a home.
Builders Surplus is a full service renovation company with locations in Louisville, Kentucky, and Newport, Kentucky, which also serves Cincinnati, Ohio. We are the leading provider of Ledge Stone, wall tile and backsplash tile in Louisville, Newport, and Cincinnati. We specialize in interior design, kitchen design, bathroom remodel, building materials, and home improvement. Interior Design and measurements come as a free service to our clients. We sell building materials ranging in every price point, from unfinished kitchen cabinets to top of the line Wellborn cabinets. In addition to interior design, we also offer installation services. If you have any questions or would like to set up a free design consultation with one of our interior designers, we would encourage you to do so. We love sharing our knowledge with clients & potential home renovators. We write about interior design, home decor, decorating ideas, and home improvement. We hope you’ll check back in for our next article! Happy Renovation!